RSS Feed

Monthly Archives: June 2014

Empire General

kitchens of distinction ‘white horses’

I painted this during December 2013-January 2014, and tried to use it as a way to practice the non-metallic metal technique. About halfway through, I decided to style it as a Mordheim refugee:

031

033

039

041

028

Not 100% happy with everything – but a step up from previous efforts at acheiving a metallic effect. I had to draw-upon colour theory quite a lot to get the balance right. Also, the design on the cloak came from a plastic carrier bag – proof that you really can find inspiration everywhere.

Chaos Tank – repairing second-hand models

 Salt ‘Bluster

This was the model as it was bought:
001

I thought a step-by-step guide to repairing models in this condition may be helpful for some people. So, after stripping the paint and removing most of the resultant gunge, the pieces looked pretty much like this:

001

I wanted to make the model look archaic, so added large bolts (in this case, small rhinestones), and used aluminium tubing to replace the missing exhaust pipes:

003

Then repaired this big gaping gap:

004

Using a spare piece (I think from a Landraider kit, but I can’t remember for sure – it’s been in my bitz box for a few years) – removed with a razor saw:

005

Then attached like so:

007

I used some textured plasticard to replace the missing floor panel (the white part):

036

Plastic glue pretty much needs to be left overnight to cure fully – which is why the tank was held in place with an elastic band.

After this, I used a different type of textured plasticard to add tread-panels (not the right term, but the beige part that looks like an ice-cream wafer):

008

Then used plastic putty to fill seams and other small gaps:

009

Afterwards, I began to work on the top part of the vehicle. Again, plasticard was used to replace the missing panel – and a new turret-hatch added:

017

I thought the roof would look better with scratch-marks, so used epoxy putty:

1. 024

2. 0263. (After a bit of fiddling about):

033

The greenstuff rivets didn’t look right, so I replaced these with rhinestones, and then added tail-lights by cutting some of the auxiliary cylindrical parts from old plastic sprues:

063

The photos are a bit out of synch, but the ram-bar was a slightly modified piece from the chaos vehicle upgrade kit:

023

That was pretty much it, really, other than using a piece of brass rod for an antenna, the khorne icon, a modified bit from…something (part of a chaos vehicle upgrade bit, is my guess) and two plastic skulls as a decoration:

035

 

It then just needed to be undercoated:

095

Done!

So, hopefully this might be of use to anybody who’s new to repairing kits.

Finished Dreadnought

Gin Blossoms ‘Found Out About You’

I finished this about a week ago:

012

016

It wasn’t too difficult painting this – it was just extremely time-consuming. But, once finished I started work on a Chaos Rhino. This was bought second-hand from Ebay:

001

004

Obviously, this was not in great condition; and personally, I would recommend that people buying old models on Ebay weigh-up whether or not they will really save money doing this. I was planning to include this with the old chaos space marine army I’m working on, and was hoping to undertake a more challenging conversion project than usual – thankfully I already had an abundance of plasticard/bitz. I think if you didn’t, it would cost more to repair a model in this condition than it would to buy a new version. That’s problem one.

Problem two was stripping-down the model:

005

 

First, taking the chassis apart – without breaking the model in the process. Then removing the original owner’s add-ons:

008

Removing the paint was where it got messy – leaving the model to soak overnight in Dettol. This liquifies acrylic and turns it into something resembling vandal grease, which can only be removed with bleach. I had misgivings at this point, I have to admit. The old Daemon tank I made a couple of years ago was a really awful project to work on, and I didn’t want to get bogged down in another experience like that one.

Fortunately, once the model was finally cleared and cleaned, it proved pretty quick, and relatively easy, to fix. I’ll write this process up later. Hopefully it may be of use to younger or more inexperienced modellers.