RSS Feed

Repairing models With Greenstuff.

The Siddeleys – My Favourite Wet Wednesday Afternoon

Sometimes old models are worse for wear, and need rejuvenating. Essential tools for this – pin vices, craft knife, and brass rod (or wire):

001

Optional – cake/cup of tea:

002

Some repairs are straightforward – for instance, large, multi-part metal models often just require pinning to strengthen the bond between sections:

010

These fixes are not difficult – the drawback is that drilling and pinning is extremely tedious.

However, this was a bit more complex:

011

It’s a very old model now – which had been in a box for about 17 or 18 years; and was missing the left arm/hand. So, I found a spare part which could be used as a substitute. It was cut and filed in order to be flush with the metal surface:

015

After being pinned/attached it looked like this:

020

I used liquid Greenstuff to fill the gap – but it didn’t really work:

021

So, I used a small amount of epoxy putty to blend the two parts with a fur effect:

022

Once undercoated, it’s ready to paint:

025

Nothing fancy – but much better than leaving a model to gather dust; and far cheaper than chasing down over-priced bitz on Ebay.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: