RSS Feed

Monthly Archives: February 2016

Dwarf Dragon Slayer (6)

Kitchens of Distinction ‘Glittery Dust’ 

Probably the last work in progress post:

034

033

I may modify the snake tattoo slightly, as it looks a bit duff in the photographs.

038

039

Painting the dragon head up as wood was tricky, because of its smoothness – the first effort looked more like chocolate, and distracted from the Dwarf too much; so I made it textured and monochromatic through drybrushing it quite roughly.

I’m going to paint the metal areas in non-metallic metals, which is not a method I’ve ever fully mastered, so it’s liable to require a fair amount of trial and error, which can be a bit time-consuming. Fortunately, there are a few versions of this painted by other people which make a good guide, which should prove helpful. Hopefully.

 

Worth a look

Hereticus Inquisitor (Mordian7thRegiment)

White Scars character (FourGoToWar)

Basing ideas (MassiveVoodoo)

A remarkable Kortharis Exalted conversion (LesKouzes)

Alex Jones’ Wood Sculptures of insects (Youtube)

The utterly ridiculous cost aside, the Deathwatch Overkill game looks splendid – and by an odd coincidence, is pretty close to what I’m going to work on next (BellOfLostSouls).

Advertisements

Dwarf Dragon Slayer (5)

Underworld ‘Pearl’s Girl’ 

I’ve finished the base – and thought it might be of use to demonstrate the method for making the foam effect.

011

 

These are the materials I used – still water effect, crushed glass, and snow flock:

007

Crushed glass is quite dangerous, so it’s important to wear protective gloves, goggles, and a dust mask. However, it’s made easier to handle if you use a laboratory spatula.

I didn’t devise a precise formula for the quantities, but made a small pool of water effect on a sheet of aluminium foil, added about half a spatula of crushed glass, and then a heaped spatula of snow flock; mixing them together with a cocktail stick:

009

I then used the cocktail stick to dab this onto the water area.

I experimented with the ratios, and tried to make the foam whiter by adding more snow flock to the mixture – which doesn’t work. Instead, I found that the more layers you add, the more opaque and white it will eventually look. It’s best to wait for one layer to dry properly before adding another:

014

Once you’re happy with the foam effect, brush several layers of pure still water effect over it, to finish it off.

 

Worth a look:

A Space Hulk Librarian (Minisocles)

Dark Eldar Grotesques (EldarAddict)

Plague tank conversion (RecalcitrantDaze)

Wraith conversion (RobHawkins)

How to make a desert-themed base (EurekaMiniatures)

How to paint a map (Timeline)

How to make fun of Donald Trump (PeterSerafinowicz)

Dwarf Dragon Slayer (4)

love battery – fuzz factory

I’ve completed the base. It needed about half a dozen coats of water effect gel, and it takes at least 24 hours for each one to cure fully, before you can apply the subsequent layer – so it’s fairly time-consuming. I’m slightly ambivalent about the results, but it’s always worth trying something new.

These were the main colours used – I think I used a wash of dark grey to shade the waves; but forgot to include it here:

003

The glaze medium was helpful, though not strictly vital, because the waves were made from greenstuff; and with them being smooth and undulating, glazing them using watered-down paint didn’t work, as it tended to run off the peaks and gather in the deeper areas.

 

Brief step-by-step

Basecoat with turquoise:

001

Shade with dark grey; and then highlight with turquoise + Ushabti bone. Increase the amount of Ushabti bone over subsequent layers; before applying a final highlight of pure Ushabti bone. Finish by glazing the waves with turquoise:

005

Once it’s been coated with several layers of water effect gel:

040

The foam was made using a mix of liquid water effect, crushed glass, and snow flock – once this had dried, I gave the whole area two coats of liquid water effect:

043

In between waiting for the various layers to dry, I decided to revisit the Dire Wolves diorama from last December, and paint a backdrop for it. I came up with two different versions – neither of which I like, really:

 

037

036

Back to the drawing board. It still seems like it’s missing an element in the background, somehow; but I’m not really sure what would solve this.