Fetchin’ Bones ‘Deep Blue’
This was a slightly experimental approach at heavy weathering, mainly using masking fluid:
The actual finished effect is a bit unpredictable – as it involves applying repeated layers of the masking fluid; resulting in a moment of truth, when you remove them all. It creates a patchwork, resembling chipped and rusted areas. It’s easy to overdo the effect; but don’t worry if it proves excessive, as you can paint over any patches which you wish to remove.
These are the colours I used to paint the main body of the hatch-door – USA Olive Brown, Earth, Rakarth Flesh, White:
Along with a mix of Oxid paste + Smoke + a small amount of black:
First, I used this mixture, daubing it in random areas, to make patches of rust:
Apply masking fluid – use a cocktail stick, rather than a brush, as masking fluid is very sticky and will damage bristles:
Leave it to dry:
Layer – USA Olive Brown:
This is where the experimental element came in – which is why the step-by-step process involves a stage that wasn’t really necessary; as I then painted the hatch-door silver, and shaded it down. I should have painted the door silver first, and then USA Olive Brown, but nevermind.
Anyway, apply masking fluid:
Again, leave it to dry.
Layer – USA olive brown:
Layer – Earth:
Apply masking fluid – note how it was adjoined to previous layers of the fluid:
Layer – Earth + Rakarth flesh – again, once this has dried, add masking fluid to select areas, and leave it to cure:
Layer – Rakarth flesh
Wash with smoke – I also painted a thin wash of black into the recesses:
I painted a layer of Rakarth flesh, but this time drybrushing/stippling it on, to create a faint texture:
Using the same method, add a layer of Rakarth flesh + white:
The moment of truth….
I added rust effects using flat earth, and tank brown:
As you can see, the paint was very watery, and applied in random areas:
It’s not strictly necessary to do this, but you can add texture using pigments and white spirit:
Please note, white spirit is extremely toxic – it’s also very unpleasant to use, as the fumes are pungent, and dangerous in their own right:
Although the effect isn’t quite the same, a safer alternative would be to use glaze-medium/varnish + pigments, and make a thick sort of paste.
But, anyway – pigments are a very fine powder, and can be applied with a brush. I think less is more with pigments, personally:
So, I stippled some of the Burnt Sienna onto a few patches of rust:
Then added the natural sienna on top:
Use an old paintbrush, and dot white spirit onto the pigments:
The pigments soak-up the white spirit; and once dry, the pigment will be firmly attached but still look dry and powdery:
I finished by painting small marks/chips using black+brown on the white part of the hatch-door, highlighting the paint around them with pure white. This was just in a few areas, which otherwise looked a bit plain. I gave the whole area a glaze of matt medium, to tie it all together. Done.
Well, almost – it looks a little bit incongruous at the moment, as the surrounding areas haven’t been painted; but once they are, it will be possible to tell whether the effect needs to be toned down or not.