RSS Feed

Redemptionists (1)

Holst ‘Jupiter’

I’ve been interested in the Blanchitsu-themed models that sites such as Ironsleet, Legion of Plastic, and the Convertorum – amongst others – have been making for a while now. Mostly these are kit-bashed Inquisitor warbands; which explore the narrative background of the Warhammer 40,000 universe – often inspired by John Blanche’s sketches and paintings.

I’m not so keen on the Inquisition as a theme, but I like the Necromunda artwork and setting; so decided to make a small project based on the Underhive. I made a previous diorama based on the Scavvies last year; so in this case, decided to make a group of their arch foes – the Redemptionists.

The initial idea for this was just to create a figure based on the old Klovis The Redeemer model; but I figured such a Quixotic personality needs a Sancho Panza-esque henchman. Or two. Then I finally decided to create a small Necromunda gang.

What I thought might be helpful for anyone new to complex modelling is to go through the basic stages of kitbashing – from cleaning and assembling bits and pieces, to using greenstuff (i.e. epoxy putty) to fill gaps, and then making a display base.

Tools needed:

005

Safety goggles – really only needed when clipping wire to pin pieces together. A razor saw – for making accurate cuts through thicker plastic parts. Precision tweezers. A needle file. Pin vices (you only really need one, but this saves having to change the drill bits constantly between different diameters). Plastic-clippers. A modelling knife – which I forgot to include in this picture; but this is the one I use:

058

Superglue/plastic cement:

030

Blu-tack is also invaluable when test-fitting pieces.

A bitzbox is a good investment to have, in general. It doesn’t need to be anything special – I just use this type due to the large number of odds and ends I have, as it saves a lot of time when looking for something specific:

002

I don’t have a particularly creative imagination, so I tend to rely on trial and error when constructing models around whatever vague vision I have – although it’s always helpful to forage around the internet, either for art or other peoples’ versions of similar models, to help your own ideas take shape.

These were the pieces gathered together, to create the central character – the Redemptor Priest:

003

Parts from Empire flagellants, various Adeptus Mechanicus figures, along with imperial guard kits. As noted, this really is just a case of trying things out, blu-tacking them together, and seeing what works.

To make the Redemptor Priest, I removed the torso from a flagellant body, using the razor saw:

006

007

Then used the torso from an Adeptus Skitarii – I decided to leave the gaps in the cloak, as it looks more dynamic:

008

For the head, I used a chaos cultist and a flagellant. Remove the arm from the cultist

010

011

Then remove the hair, using a modelling knife:

012

I cut the brazier off the flagellant’s head using the razor saw, then attached these together:

013

Book from the Empire Battle Wizard’s kit; right arm from a flagellant:

014

To make the left arm, I used an Adeptus Mechanicus power claw:

015

And the Imperial Guard sentinel chainsaw:

016

These were both cut and then attached as you can see:

020

The necklace was at the wrong angle; so to get it contoured properly, I held the model above a tealight candle to soften the plastic, which was then pushed into place with the tweezers:

017

To be honest, I wouldn’t recommend this, as it’s easy to melt the plastic, and damage it; but haven’t yet figured out a different method to soften it.

This figure didn’t require being pinned together, but one of the henchmen did. When drilling a few bits of plastic, a regular pin vice is fine; but if you want to drill through metal – or you’re working on something which requires a lot of drilling – it may be worth buying a pin vice which has a comfort-grip, as your hands can cramp-up quite badly.

However, these were the pieces used to make the henchman’s body – a Skaven Plague Monk:

022

A Vampire Counts Zombie:

023

Firstly, remove the legs from both models – and drill where you will attach the separate pieces:

027

The large hole in the centre here isn’t needed for the modelling, just for mounting the finished model on a cork to hold when it’s being painted:

026Cut some short lengths of wire:

028

Superglue the wire into the leg; then when that’s dried, attach it to the body:

029

When completed:

031

The bell had some scuffed areas, which often happens when removing plastic bits from sprues:

032

Giving it a quick file smooths it out:

033

My nails don’t look very clean here, I have to say. Anyway, the completed henchman – using a vulture from the Warhammer Giant kit to finish it off. This was really just to balance the model out a bit, given the lurching stance of the figure; but it also adds to the grim character of the model:

047

The finished Redemptionist gang:

046

I will make a tutorial on using greenstuff, next.

Advertisements

2 responses »

  1. I’m so glad you’ve decided to get involved with the inq28/blanchitsu crowd. The group already looks fantastic and I’m really looking forward to seeing how these evolve :)

    Reply
    • Thanks – I may expand the overall project slightly; as I had an idea for making a Necromunda diorama. We’ll have to see where it goes.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: