RSS Feed

Redemptionists (4) – Making A Display Base

Screaming Trees ‘Change Has Come’ 

I’ve finished the model of Karloth Valois – I wanted to depict him as an itinerant Wyrd, before becoming the Underhive’s premier super-villain:

001

So, on with the base.

This is still a work in progress, but as it might take a fair bit of time to complete the detailing, it seems worthwhile to at least demonstrate the basics of creating a display base.

It’s helpful to plan it out, and make a mock-up version, using cheap material – such as cereal box card – before beginning the final model; as this allows you to chop and change your ideas as necessary, without wasting costly material.

I made a sketch, based on some of the old, scratch-built Necromunda scenery, which appeared in the original release of the game:

005Obviously, this is not high-art; just a quick record of your ideas. It’s only ever a matter of personal taste; but I think that a straightforward idea is better than an overly elaborate one. Partly because if you’re not careful, the base can over-power the miniatures; but partly because otherwise it ends up absorbing most of your time and effort.

First, the mock version – getting an idea of the size needed:

006

Make templates:

010

Use these to transfer the design to foamcard:

011

The initial mock-up:

012

At this stage, it looked a bit bland and static; so I decided to make the bridge the focal point of the setting:

017

The bulkheads were turned into the bridge’s legs – to make them look a bit more robust, add beams made from sprues/rhinestones:

019

022

As well as pipes, made from plastic rod/tubing:

025

050

The foamcard hills were a bit flimsy; so I made versions out of corkboard:

027

Attached to the actual base – this was just a spare off-cut of wood I had lying around; you should be able to buy something cut to order if needed, either online or from a timber merchant:

031

These were then blended into the base by stippling them with wood-putty:

037

Then using PVA/sand to cover the remainder of the base:

039

Once this has dried, give it several thin coats of watered down PVA (about five parts water to one part PVA).

I made the bridge’s platform from foamcard:

041

 

This was supposed to be an old, damaged bridge in the Underhive – so cut it to shape, and use brass rod to keep the pieces attached:

052

This was set to be overlaid with plasticard – to cut it to the same size, it’s helpful to use small dots of bluetack in order to prevent the metal ruler slipping around on the plastic:

042

I wanted to make a cracked concrete effect, so cut two pieces of plasticard to the same size:

043

To make the broken concrete effect, cut the plasticard into cracked parts:

053

Then trim these a bit with a craft knife, before gluing them down:

055

I also used some old chicken-wire, to represent damage:

045

As you can see in the middle of the section, I then attached some bits of foamcard/plasticard to represent broken up slabs of concrete:

056

It needs detailing; plus I’m not sure whether to make the water element dynamic or stagnant – but that’s the foundation, at any rate.

Advertisements

2 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: