RSS Feed

Redemptionists (6) – Painting Rust Effects & Plague Zombies

Bowery Electric ‘Fear Of Flying’ 

I’ve nearly finished painting the base. A slight mishap when using the water effect means it will have to be done the hard way, painting it in layers – which will take several days; but that’s no big deal.

I wanted to finish the base in a time-frame of about a week. The last time I made anything like this was the base for the Hunter & Hunted diorama, which dragged on for just under two months, and became extremely unenjoyable.

So, I wanted to employ dry-brushing and washes, to provide a quick but effective scheme.

064

I thought it might be useful demonstrate how to paint the rust effect.

The undercoated pipe:

001

I created texture by using red-oxide paste:

002

It was then painted dark brown, along with all of the other metal parts:

004

These were painted with a thinned-down enamel rust-wash – specifically this one (the lid on mine broke, and had to be stored in a Kilner jar):

Image result for humbrol rust wash

Humbrol have a video on how to use these.

010

Enamels tend to give a subtle effect; so to add a bit more colour in places, I then used several thin washes of orange/ochre paints:

011

When these had dried:

012

Finished by dabbing on some pigments; and bonding these with white spirit (I made a previous tutorial on this):

021

 

 

How to paint plague zombies.

These were the colours used:

044

These were just used to create a flesh-wash:

007

Basecoat: Mephiston Red on the intestines, Cadian fleshtone on the skin, and Rakarth flesh on the bone areas.

042

The whole model was given a wash with Smoke; then the skin/intestines were given a wash of Liche Purple + Smoke + Burnt Cadmium Red + Black (equal parts):

043

Drybrush the bones with khaki:

045

Add a small amount of rakarth flesh to the khaki, and continue drybrushing:

046

Drybrush with pure Rakarth flesh:

047

The bones were then given a thin glaze of smoke, to smooth out the effect.

The skin was drybrushed with Cadian fleshtone + Rotting flesh (2:1 ratio):

049

Add more Rotting flesh for the second layer; and finish with pure Rotting flesh. Again, drybrushing:

051

As you can see, this de-saturated the skin, and left it looking slightly chalky; so to smooth this out and add some colour, I glazed over the entire model with several thin layers of Thraka Green, and used Baal Red around the mouth/eyes:

052

The intestines weren’t drybrushed – instead, paint a layer of Mephiston red; then a highlight layer by adding some Bugman’s glow to this; and finish by glazing with Baal red.

055

Done:

065

Advertisements

5 responses »

  1. This is excellent mate. Really well done.

    Reply
  2. Pingback: Redemptionists (9) – Scavvies. | Hull Warhammer (& Stuff)

  3. Pingback: Mountaineer – Work In Progress (3) | Hull Warhammer (& Stuff)

  4. Pingback: Night Goblin Shaman (3) – work in progress | Hull Warhammer (& Stuff)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: