RSS Feed

Monthly Archives: July 2017

Work in progress (17)

Hooverphonic ‘Magenta’

I’ve pretty much finished the Arabian rider:

024

034

029

I wanted the character to have a subtle Tzeentchian aspect – so painted the jewel to resemble an eye:

032

028

I’m not entirely happy with the interior cloak, though – I tried various freehand designs, but they all looked crumby. For example:

021

So, I ended up just painting tears in the fabric:

038

It still looks a bit bare, but I can’t think of any decent design which would work. I will finish the display base now, though; and see if anything occurs in the meantime.

Advertisements

Make the dead glorious again (16)

Vashti Bunyan ‘Love Song’

It’s taken so long since the last update as I had a lengthy bout of painter’s-block. None of my original ideas for the freehand design on the cloak really worked-out, due to the heavy folds.

I had tried to make an arabesque pattern, which I didn’t really like:

Then went through the initial stages of various other designs; which didn’t look very effective, either:

So I decided to change approach slightly – instead of using an Arabian design, I used a Khemrian one instead; based on the Tomb Kings imagery:

 

I think it’s a shame that the Tomb Kings were discontinued by Games Workshop; so this serves a duel purpose, as a homage to the Khemrian monarchs. It also prompted me to change the name of the diorama to Make Khemri Great Again.

Step-by-step (give or take):

It’s not quite finished, but the rider shouldn’t take too long now. The display base needs some slight revisions; but hopefully the next update won’t take two months.