RSS Feed

Monthly Archives: August 2017

Necromunda diorama revisited (1)

Leftfield ‘Melt’

I wasn’t entirely happy with the Necromunda bridge which I made last year. I had wanted it to look like a lifeless wasteland – but after thinking about it, derelict areas tend to be the opposite: overgrown, as nature reclaims ground which no longer receives much human activity.

It also looked very grey, and a bit sterile:

So, I’ve begun reworking it a bit, to look more colourful:

The water effect was given some more saturation by painting over it with Tamiya clear paints.

I watch a lot of (fairly bad) horror movies; and carnivorous plants feature quite often – so I thought some sinister looking vines would look effective:

And I’ve re-done the signs – I thought Spanish would look more fitting for a wild-west style showdown:

Plus, although I’m not overly keen on blood and gore, I figure if you’re going to apply it, you may as well be hyperbolic:

The rest is just a case of adding more detail:

A fair bit to go yet; but I hope to make a couple of short tutorials over the next few weeks.

Make Khemri Great Again

Orbital ‘Halcyon and on’

I’ve finally finished this diorama:

The colours have come out slightly better without the background:

I was going to paint the pyramid blocks as sandstone, but noticed that numerous Tomb Kings pictures depict the stone as a kind of dark, volcanic rock – and thought that this looked suitably sinister:

The hieroglyphic pendant was made from oven-bake clay –  it should read ‘Khemri’ in hieroglyphics:

I’m going to revisit some of my previous models, as I think they would benefit from minor alterations. After that, hopefully I will start working on an Inquisitor-based project.

Work In Progress (18) – making a display base.

Shelleyan Orphan ‘century flower’

I was going to mount the diorama just on a display board, but it looked a bit underwhelming – so I thought it would be worth experimenting with a more characterful base.

So, to make pyramid-esque stones – use a piece of insulation polystyrene (2.5 cm thick), and trace out a series of squares:

Begin to carve rock shapes:

I used a craft-knife for most of this work, along with a cocktail stick/sculpting tool here and there. The emery board was used to sand the polystyrene down where needed:

It’s best to turn the craft-knife blade sideways to make rough crevices:

Test-fitting:

When you’re happy with the polystyrene-carving, use a hot glue gun and attach it to the display board:

I also used pieces of wire to pin it, for extra stability – but this isn’t entirely necessary:

I shaped the foam slightly, to fit the shape of the desert-base:

Coat the polystyrene with either ready-mixed filler – or, as in this case, wood filler – which will give it a more realistic appearance, and make it harder-wearing; then add sand around the base of the rocks, using PVA:

 

If you intend to undercoat this with spray paint, then it’s important to give the polystyrene a wash with watery PVA; as the solvent in spray paint melts polystyrene. It’s also helpful to coat the sand likewise, as this makes it easier to paint:

Once undercoated:

I made a temporary mount, using some packaging foam/double-sided tape/masking tape to make it easier to hold while painting:

Basecoated – the red oxide paint was just dabbed in places which the sand hadn’t covered so well:

Ready to paint.