To paint the Poxwalkers, I followed the method from Warhammer TV – that is, mainly using shade paints; but with a few differences. These take slightly more time – but not too much more; and they add a bit of further detail.
This method breaks down into three stages: 1) basecoating areas 2) applying washes 3) edge-highlighting details.
I would say from the outset that this approach was fairly experimental – with a bit of trial and error involved. So, some parts may be unnecessary to follow.
As you can see, the spraypaint hadn’t coated these models fully:
So, I painted them white where needed:
Paint the horns with ushabti bone:
The maggots with Zamesi Desert:
The tentacles with Cadian fleshtone:
The cloth with orange (I used vallejo’s orangebrown):
The leather areas with dark brown; and the gas mask/tubing black:
One intestine was painted purple, just to variegate the innards a bit:
The shin guard was painted blue-grey (Citadel’s the Fang):
And then the metals – silver and brass, respectively:
Basecoating is fairly tedious, to be honest. I’m not sure there’s a way to alter that, unfortunately – I think it’s just a bit of work, that has to be got through.
The next step is to add colour, by shading with washes; which is much more enjoyable than basecoating:
I thinned these down slightly with water; and applied several layers, rather than one heavy application.
i) Paint the skin and tentacles with Reikland flesh.
ii) paint the horns, pox marks, and tentacles with Athonian camoshade
ii) paint the face and tentacles with Druchii violet
iv) paint the metal areas and the leather/clothing with Agrax earthshade. I also painted the hammerhead and the bayonet with Reikland flesh, and then seraphim sepia, to create a faint rust effect (this part wasn’t entirely successful).
If you look at the photos, you can see how successive layers of the washes deepen the colour:
Adding detail is the stage which can really become very time-consuming, if you’re not careful. So, it’s best to keep it minimal; and just highlight edges, using the original basecoat.
The faces did have highlighting added though – as they’re the focal point of models, they warrant a bit more attention. So, highlight the face with pallid wych-flesh. Dot the poxmarks with rotting flesh. Glaze both of these areas, and the tentacles, with seraphim sepia.
The Jewels on the Nurgle insignia were painted snot green, then dotted with scorpion green. The eyes were painted with snot green, then dotted with snot green + white.
I initially highlighted all the edges on the horns with ushabti bone, but it left them looking a bit untidy, and the colour proved a bit stark. So instead, I just highlighted the edges closest to the faces, using khaki. The horns were then glazed with sepia.
I’m not 100% happy with these – but I’m going to leave them aside for now; and maybe readjust them when I’ve finished the other models. I think this is helpful when painting a large number of miniatures, because otherwise – if you keep faffing about -you will never get them all finished.
I haven’t quite figured out how to style the bases yet; but I’m going to keep them fairly simple. With them being a gift for someone, I want them to be able to replicate the bases without any difficulty, if they wish to add further models.