RSS Feed

Category Archives: Diorama

Dire Wolves Diorama Revisited (4) – finished

The Cure ‘Prayers For Rain’ 

I’ve finished the dire wolves diorama, now.


I’m going to continue the Inquisitor-themed project, which I made a start on last Autumn; before putting it aside to paint the Plague Marine army.

I intend to change my painting style a bit, though; as it tends to veer towards being a bit dull and Gothic. So, I want to use a cleaner, brighter set of colours.




Dire Wolves Diorama Revisited (3)

Trail of Dead ‘Another morning stoner’ 

Not quite finished, but near enough. I decided not to make a backdrop after all – but to just add detail to the rear of the walls; and thought it might be helpful to demonstrate how this was done.

I used some balsa wood to cover the join:

To make the ivy strands, you need some thin wire (plus superglue/cutters etc):

And silver birch seed pods:


Create the ivy stems by building up the wire framework:

Paint over this with textured-paint:


Then paint the wall, ivy, and wood with an exciting array of greys and browns:


Glue the seed pods on with PVA:

I thought it looked a bit off, somehow – so removed a few as you can see:

Add cobwebs (I made a previous tutorial on this):

If you find that the finished webs look a bit white, just glaze them with brown/green:

Done. Sort of:

I think it needs something on the left-hand side, to balance the overall scene out – but haven’t got a clear idea yet.

Dire Wolves Diorama Revisited (2) – painting skin

Vault – The walls

A short tutorial on how to paint skin/faces. The photos are a bit ad-hoc.

These were the paints used:

For the shading wash – mix purple, brown, black and red in equal parts:

First, paint the skin with Cadian fleshtone; then use the shading wash:

Layer with Bugman’s glow; then highlight with pure Cadian fleshtone:

Add further highlights, using a mix of Cadian fleshtone + ushabti bone + a small amount of the green-grey:


Edge highlight with pure ushabti bone, and use pure white on select areas of the face – such as around the eyes, and the side of the mouth – to add expression:


The paint the eyes themselves, use light grey; then dot with black.

For the teeth – use zamesi desert, then highlight with ushabti bone.

For the lower lip – Bugman’s glow; then highlight by adding ushabti bone.

The boil was painted red, then Bugman’s glow, then dotted with rotting flesh.

To finish, glaze the skin areas with brown.


I tried to add texture to the cloth, to make it look like a kind of rough-hewn peasant garb. It’s basically just an admixture of stippling, and drybrushing – but using slower, deliberate strokes of the brush:

When the diorama is finished, the positioning should look something like this:


Dire Wolves Diorama Revisited (1)

The Replacements ‘I will dare’ 

I wasn’t overly happy when I finished this diorama the first time around:

It was one of the last pieces that I uploaded to the CoolMiniOrNot site – and it evidently left people underwhelmed.

I think the criticism posted on the comment thread was right, though – that it needed more of a narrative, and a focal point. So, that’s what I’m going to rework.

I wasn’t entirely sure what would fit the theme – but I read Judith Flanders’ book ‘The Victorian City’ recently; and it mentions the practice of grave-robbing – or body-snatching, if you will.

This seems like a good subject for a Mordheim-based model.

I have made a start on re-modelling the base as a disturbed grave:

The Peasant from the giant kit looks suitably thematic, too:

I’m not quite sure what kind of background to make – I had initially thought about something resembling the Minster here in Hull; but a derelict abbey, like the one in Whitby, is probably the best option.

We’ll see.



Space Hulk Diorama Revisited (4) – finished

Boards of Canada ‘Seven Forty Seven’ 

I’ve finished the Space Hulk diorama revamp, now:


I’m going to revisit the Dire Wolves diorama, which I made back in January 2016, and make some changes to it; but I’ll go through these in more detail, in the next post.

Space Hulk Diorama Revisited (2)

Ivy ‘Undertow’ 


I’ve finished revamping the main part of the Space Hulk diorama:

I think it looks a bit better now, as the walls no longer overshadow the genestealers.

The slime was made using the same method as outlined in a previous tutorial.

Necromunda Diorama Revisited (3) – finished

MBV Arkestra

I’ve finished re-working the Necromunda diorama, originally created last year:



I was going to write the title in Spanish, but ‘última resistencia’ would have been a bit awkward to paint. Calligraphy isn’t my strongest point, either.

The Necromunda bridge was based on a fairly sinister one, which spans a track where I walk my dog:


Real-life can sometimes inspire your thought processes – even if it’s just a murky overpass in Hull.

I mentioned in a previous post that I was going to revise several of the other pieces I made last year; but I had an idea for something slightly different.