I’ve finished the Space Hulk diorama revamp, now:
I’m going to revisit the Dire Wolves diorama, which I made back in January 2016, and make some changes to it; but I’ll go through these in more detail, in the next post.
I’ve painted the fourth genestealer, and finished the Space Hulk backdrop now:
I’m going to adjust the Librarian a bit, as some aspects of it look a bit poor:
The face, staff, cloak, and parchments/books could all do with improvement – I recall struggling a bit with the freehand designs, the first time around; so we’ll have to see what can be done.
I wasn’t entirely happy with the Space Hulk diorama, which was made last year; so I’m going to alter some aspects of it.
The red colour of the walls overpowers the models:
Plus the corner in the far-right of this picture looks a bit empty; and there are some unsightly gaps in places:
A few additional details, and a slightly more gloomy paint-scheme, will hopefully improve the overall atmosphere:
Along with a fourth genestealer, scrambling over the edge:
This is a bit contrived, of course; but I think melodrama is okay in a diorama.
I’m going to take a short break for what remains of the Summer; and then hopefully start a small Blanchitsu-esque project.
The Librarian is finished, at long last – barring any further need for adjustments; as the red colour on the book page may not work out:
Probably the last update before this diorama is finally completed, though.
Worth a look
Death Guard Plague Marines (Simon Modrow)
Deathwatch marines (Watching Paint Dry)
Painting Don Quixote (Coloured Dust)
Iron Empire Jet Girl (Serpentarium)
Photos of the month (Boston Globe)
I’ve nearly finished the Librarian figure, with only the freehand designs to go. I usually leave these until last, as they tend to be quite painstaking. The colours haven’t come out quite right in the photographs, particularly on the face, but nevermind:
I decided to paint the staff with a glowing effect – i.e. object source lighting. It has an odd, intricate design sculpted onto it; and wasn’t cast especially well on this model. Normally OSL is best achieved with drybrushing, but it wouldn’t be possible here – so instead, the technique just involves highlighting with increasingly bright layers as normal, but then glazing over each of these with the previous colour, to blend it together.
These were the colours used:
I then painted the swirly lines grey – purely because it made them easier to see:
Paint the lines with Vallejo Air Colour Blue:
Glaze over the staff with a thin mix of the same colour, VAC blue:
Layer – Andrea Blue:
Glaze over the lines with another thin layer of VAC blue:
Highlight – Lothern Blue:
Glaze the blue lines with Andrea Blue:
Highlight – Lothern Blue + Pale Grey Blue (c. 1:2 ratio):
Highlight with pale grey blue, in selective areas – such as corners/tips:
I then glazed the whole staff with several thin layers of VAC blue; before finishing with another glaze – this time, using diluted Asurmen blue; as it has a slightly satin effect, which makes the main area of the staff look black again, rather than grey:
Unfortunately, I’m not very imaginative; and haven’t quite figured out the freehand designs yet. Once they’re done though, the diorama will be finished, save for a few minor tweaks here and there.