I’ve been interested in the Blanchitsu-themed models that sites such as Ironsleet, Legion of Plastic, and the Convertorum – amongst others – have been making for a while now. Mostly these are kit-bashed Inquisitor warbands; which explore the narrative background of the Warhammer 40,000 universe – often inspired by John Blanche’s sketches and paintings.
I’m not so keen on the Inquisition as a theme, but I like the Necromunda artwork and setting; so decided to make a small project based on the Underhive. I made a previous diorama based on the Scavvies last year; so in this case, decided to make a group of their arch foes – the Redemptionists.
The initial idea for this was just to create a figure based on the old Klovis The Redeemer model; but I figured such a Quixotic personality needs a Sancho Panza-esque henchman. Or two. Then I finally decided to create a small Necromunda gang.
What I thought might be helpful for anyone new to complex modelling is to go through the basic stages of kitbashing – from cleaning and assembling bits and pieces, to using greenstuff (i.e. epoxy putty) to fill gaps, and then making a display base.
Safety goggles – really only needed when clipping wire to pin pieces together. A razor saw – for making accurate cuts through thicker plastic parts. Precision tweezers. A needle file. Pin vices (you only really need one, but this saves having to change the drill bits constantly between different diameters). Plastic-clippers. A modelling knife – which I forgot to include in this picture; but this is the one I use:
Blu-tack is also invaluable when test-fitting pieces.
A bitzbox is a good investment to have, in general. It doesn’t need to be anything special – I just use this type due to the large number of odds and ends I have, as it saves a lot of time when looking for something specific:
I don’t have a particularly creative imagination, so I tend to rely on trial and error when constructing models around whatever vague vision I have – although it’s always helpful to forage around the internet, either for art or other peoples’ versions of similar models, to help your own ideas take shape.
These were the pieces gathered together, to create the central character – the Redemptor Priest:
Parts from Empire flagellants, various Adeptus Mechanicus figures, along with imperial guard kits. As noted, this really is just a case of trying things out, blu-tacking them together, and seeing what works.
To make the Redemptor Priest, I removed the torso from a flagellant body, using the razor saw:
Then used the torso from an Adeptus Skitarii – I decided to leave the gaps in the cloak, as it looks more dynamic:
For the head, I used a chaos cultist and a flagellant. Remove the arm from the cultist
Then remove the hair, using a modelling knife:
I cut the brazier off the flagellant’s head using the razor saw, then attached these together:
Book from the Empire Battle Wizard’s kit; right arm from a flagellant:
To make the left arm, I used an Adeptus Mechanicus power claw:
And the Imperial Guard sentinel chainsaw:
These were both cut and then attached as you can see:
The necklace was at the wrong angle; so to get it contoured properly, I held the model above a tealight candle to soften the plastic, which was then pushed into place with the tweezers:
To be honest, I wouldn’t recommend this, as it’s easy to melt the plastic, and damage it; but haven’t yet figured out a different method to soften it.
This figure didn’t require being pinned together, but one of the henchmen did. When drilling a few bits of plastic, a regular pin vice is fine; but if you want to drill through metal – or you’re working on something which requires a lot of drilling – it may be worth buying a pin vice which has a comfort-grip, as your hands can cramp-up quite badly.
However, these were the pieces used to make the henchman’s body – a Skaven Plague Monk:
A Vampire Counts Zombie:
Firstly, remove the legs from both models – and drill where you will attach the separate pieces:
The large hole in the centre here isn’t needed for the modelling, just for mounting the finished model on a cork to hold when it’s being painted:
Cut some short lengths of wire:
Superglue the wire into the leg; then when that’s dried, attach it to the body:
The bell had some scuffed areas, which often happens when removing plastic bits from sprues:
Giving it a quick file smooths it out:
My nails don’t look very clean here, I have to say. Anyway, the completed henchman – using a vulture from the Warhammer Giant kit to finish it off. This was really just to balance the model out a bit, given the lurching stance of the figure; but it also adds to the grim character of the model:
The finished Redemptionist gang:
I will make a tutorial on using greenstuff, next.