RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Chaos Space Marines

Chaos Tank Revisited

The dbs ‘black and white’

I wasn’t entirely happy with the tank that I painted last year; so decided to repaint some of it – mainly just toning-down the brighter areas, improving the contrast via spot-colours, and replacing the freehand designs with some which were a bit more fitting:

004

012

014

016

001

This was the final model of the Chaos Space Marine army, which I began a year ago. I will hopefully upload some photos of this soon.

 

 

Advertisements

A Step-By-Step Guide To Painting Basic Freehand Designs On Banners

 American Music Club ‘Western Sky’

Freehand designs can be a bit daunting, especially on banners. Not everybody has an artistic talent – God knows I don’t – but they become easier, and more straightforward, when you plan them out beforehand, and break them down into small steps.The key is to keep refining and sharpening-up the lines until you are happy with the effect.

First, because this was going to be a Black Legion standard-bearer, I made some sketches of basic designs from GW artwork:

002

To begin painting, plot the outline with dots:

003

Then connect the dots:

004

Thicken the lines:

006

Again, plot the next stage with dots (you may notice how the mistakes were painted over during this stage):

007

Connect the dots:

009

Use the same technique to create the arrows:

013

It can be difficult to paint symmetrical angles; so, because I wanted to make a pointed effect, I painted a line down the centre of each arrow:

014

Then created the tips:

015

Before painting over the superfluous part to create the sharp angles:

016

Again, thicken the lines:

017

At this point the design looked a bit top-heavy; so, to balance it out, I painted a ribbon underneath the icon – again, plot this out first:

020

Then fill this in:

021

Add colour by glazing the design with thin layers (in this case Vallejo Smoke); while adding texture via painting on cracks and chips. I also painted thin layers of dark red (GW Rhinox Hide) around the design to give it a bit of depth:

024

Finish by painting in the eye, and adding roman numerals. I also painted on some tears in the space between the icon and the ribbon:

028

So, it’s not too difficult to paint effective freehand designs, as long as you approach them step-by-step.

Painting Plague Marines (Rank & File)

Moonshake ‘Gravity’ 

It proved a bit gruelling, for some reason, painting these:

099

 

However, the paint scheme itself is pretty straightforward. The specific paints/colours I’ve used are not all-important – they were intended to tie-in with a larger force; mainly composed of Khorne/Black Legion Chaos Space Marines. They were also meant to be quick to paint.

These are the basic colours used:

016

The models were bought second-hand, a few years ago now; and I modified them slightly, as you can see from the green parts:

002

 

Painting the armour

1) Rhinox Hide (GW):

008

 

2) Bronze Green (VMC):

012

3) Wash: i. Olive Green (VMA) + Smoke (VMC). ii. Wash with Smoke on its own (VMC):

021

4) Edge Highlight: i. Bronze Green (VMC) + Rotting Flesh (GW). ii. Rotting Flesh on its own:

026

5) Glaze: i. Thraka Green (GW). ii. Smoke (VMC):

040

It isn’t strictly vital to use this final glaze of Smoke; but while Thraka Green smoothes out the previous layers, the Smoke colour adds a bit of warmth, and also makes the overall appearance look a bit murkier and less clean than, say, Dark Angels’ power armour tends to.

Painting the Buboes

These were the colours used – most of them, at least; I forgot to include the brighter red colour:

 

027

To paint the buboes:

  1. Basecoat: Rhinox Hide.
  2. Burnt Cadmium Red (VMC)
  3. Burnt Cadmium Red + Red (VMC)
  4. Red + Trollslayer Orange (GW)
  5. Trollslayer Orange + Plague Brown (VGC)
  6. Plague Brown
  7. Plague Brown + Rotting Flesh (GW)
  8. Glaze: Baal Red (GW).

You can see how the colours were applied:

033

 

And then how the glaze ties these all together:

083

 

I also give them a final glaze with a thinned-down layer of water effect.

Creating the blood-effect

The materials used for this are, firstly, a piece of nylon thread – you can buy proper modelling versions of this, or use fishing line; but I just use the kind which attach labels to clothes:

060

 

Also: PVA glue, epoxy glue, and superglue; along with Tamiya clear red paint and black artist’s ink:

062

 

First, fix the nylon thread into place using dots of PVA. This won’t prove hardy, but it means you can manoeuvre the thread carefully into place. Once this has dried, reinforce the bond with small dots of superglue (using a cocktail stick, or something similar):

065

Create the texture using epoxy glue – dot some on top of the thread, and some underneath it:

070

 

You can use water effects, which is easier to apply, and less toxic than epoxy; but it is less able to withstand handling. I usually use a cocktail stick to stipple the glue, just before it has fully cured, in order to make it less smooth, and look more naturalistic.

Once the epoxy has dried, mix the Tamiya clear red paint with a small amount of black ink, to create the bloody-colour:

072

Stipple this on using and old brush:
075

 

And with that, ’tis done:

091