I’ve finished revamping the main part of the Space Hulk diorama:
I think it looks a bit better now, as the walls no longer overshadow the genestealers.
The slime was made using the same method as outlined in a previous tutorial.
I wasn’t entirely happy with the Space Hulk diorama, which was made last year; so I’m going to alter some aspects of it.
The red colour of the walls overpowers the models:
Plus the corner in the far-right of this picture looks a bit empty; and there are some unsightly gaps in places:
A few additional details, and a slightly more gloomy paint-scheme, will hopefully improve the overall atmosphere:
Along with a fourth genestealer, scrambling over the edge:
This is a bit contrived, of course; but I think melodrama is okay in a diorama.
I’ve finished the Death Guard models, now:
This maybe hasn’t been the most enthralling series of posts; but hopefully it has at least achieved the aim of demonstrating that you can paint an army, without foregoing every other aspect of your life.
Updates have proven a bit erratic lately, as I’ve been caught-up in non-painting-related things.
However, the last post covered basecoating. This one is about shading and highlighting.
I’ve also finished the Bloat Drone:
The painting method was the same as with the Plague Marines; but as it’s a centrepiece model, I decided to add some slime.
To create the slime effect, use the following paints:
Plus nylon thread (i.e. an annoying clothes tag):
Attach pieces of the nylon thread, with epoxy glue; and build up the slime effect:
Paint the slime with Elysian green:
Paint with several layers of Tamiya green + yellow:
Just one model left to paint, now.
I thought I would make a step-by-step guide to painting one of the Death Guard character models. This is basically just a more detailed version of the previous tutorial. I’ve broken it into two parts, though; as the Plague Marines are quite detailed models.
Basecoat the model with Death Guard Green (or any similar colour):
Paint the metal areas with Vallejo Gunmetal, and Sycorax Bronze:
Orange has a very thin pigment; so paint the cloth with Mournfang Brown:
Then with Vallejo’s orange-brown – which makes it easier to achieve a good effect:
Face – Pallid Wych Flesh (paint the eyes red):
The flies were painted with Cadian fleshtone/Elysian green:
The leather areas were painted with Vallejo German camouflage black-brown:
The maggots were painted with Zamesi desert:
That’s the basecolours painted – I will go through shading and highlighting in the next post:
I painted the Plague Marines using the same method as the Poxwalkers – i.e. basecoating the models, then shading them down with washes. I kept the highlighting minimal, as well – concentrating on the faces, but otherwise just edge-highlighting as and where it seemed necessary.
So, basecoat the power armour with Death Guard Green, or any similar colour (I used a Humbrol spraypaint, then painted over any missed areas with Death Guard Green):
I used orange-brown for the cloak; but the other details are painted in obvious colours:
Wash over the entire models with several coats of Agrellan Earth. I thinned it slightly with water, but this isn’t vital – it’s best to avoid letting it pool in the recesses, though; otherwise it can look a bit blotchy:
For the champion, I used the same colour-scheme:
The fly’s wings were painted with Celestra grey:
The only difference between this and the rank and file Plague Marines was the higher number of pink, fleshy areas – which were washed with Reikland Fleshshade:
Rather than go through the fairly laborious stage of layering-on highlights, I just added detail to the cloak by painting on scratches:
If I get time, I may return to the champion, and add more detail to the hood – as it looks a bit plain; but we’ll see.
I’ve finished the Poxwalkers:
So, this is just a brief post on how to paint the bases.
Paints needed (I initially used Stormvermin fur to paint the rocks, but it didn’t look right; so just used a mid-tone grey):
First, coat the base in PVA glue, then cover it in sand:
When that has dried, wash over the sand with thinned-down PVA:
Then paint the sand with Stirland Battlemire, and the rim of the base with any similar colour:
Drybrush it with Zamesi desert yellow (this stage is optional):
Drybrush – Nurgling Green:
Wash with Athonian camoshade:
I experimented with Nurgle’s rot, but didn’t really like the effect:
I’m convinced there will be a good use for this; but haven’t figured it out yet.
Finish by adding static grass: